2012 has been an intense year for me. Tumultuous, heart-wrenching, strength building, life affirming, intense year. I can honestly say if you talked to me a year ago, I never would’ve predicted I would be where I am. Some of that is good, some of it is indifferent. All I can say is that I am happy where I am in life. Everything does happen for a reason.
Though this was a rough year to get through, and I honestly cannot wait for 2013 (high hopes!), I had quite a few favorites of the year. I was going to do “Top 12 Favorites of 2012” but I had far too many. So, I’m not sure what number it will end at (almost definitely will be an even number, though), but these are my favorite things of 2012, that made life a bit easier. In no real order because my brain is scattered.
1. Break-ups: Some of my favorite people, and myself included, went through heart-wrenching break ups this year. Though they really aren’t easy, ever, 9 times out of 10 they are for the best, and you come out a bit stronger.
2. Family and Friends: If you are in this category, THANK YOU. I know I wasn’t the easiest person to deal with this year. Without you guys I definitely wouldn’t be doing as well as I am today. (I promise this whole post won’t be sappy!)
3. Beyonce: Fierce and Fabulous. Live in concert she blows the roof off of anyone else. And she’s hot. I rest my case.
4. Taylor Swift: I am pretty sure we are the same person in different bodies. Her songs, new and old, are played religiously on my iPod.
5. Simon: My sweet, sweet puppy. He motivated me to get out of bed every morning. He is always thrilled to see me, and always keeps me on my toes (read: getting fleas, pooping under tables). I think I’m gonna go wake him up right now and shower him with kisses. I’m not crazy.
6. Braveheart: Braveheart has always been my second home. I am pretty sure I spend more time there than my actual home. This year, though, Braveheart meant just a little extra. Customers I knew became friends, strangers offered sweet words, and my co-workers always kept me smiling.
7. My iPhone: I fought getting an iPhone for so long. But I AM ADDICTED. Emojis really do make my life better.
8. Yellow: Always been my favorite color. But now, it is infused everywhere. My iPhone case (another plus for the apple product), my kilt, my necklace, my bedding. How can you not smile seeing the color yellow?!
9. Parenthood (the TV show): Talk about an emotional rollercoaster. This show incorporates every part of life I love. And it has brought Lauren Graham back into my life, as well as adding new actors to love.
10. Victaulic Boys: Maybe this is too much to share, but they really were my favorite things over the summer. A group of guys would live in our apartments during training, and were some of the most fun people. They livened up our summer.
11. Pinterest: I’m probably the millionth person to say this is a favorite, but I JUST DON’T CARE. Pinterest is my life. Seriously. Visit my boards (they aren’t organized in the slightest).
12. Puerto Rico: This trip was awesome. It was impossibly hard leaving Simon for a week (I asked for many pictures via text) but it resulted in so many awesome memories, and life lessons. Namely, I cannot kayak, should never get drunk in a hotel the first night because I will not be able to find my room, and that when drunk I only black out when on the balcony. Very vital life lessons.
13. Red Wine: Yes, it needs to be capitalized because it is a staple in any self respecting females diets.
14: Ellen Degeneres: I’ve always loved Ellen. Her books are hysterical. But this year I have been able to watch her show almost every day, and die laughing. But, she is also such a kind hearted person and really uses her fame and fortune for the best, by giving back.
15. Justin Timberlake: Yes, he got married. No, I am not suicidal. I am happy for him. I am sad for me. He will always be on a list of my favorite things.
16. Justin Bieber: The boy can sing. He is my second favorite Justin. (this is the only part of the list that is in correct order. TIMBERLAKE FOREVER.) I’m pretty sure I am 12 on the inside. But come on. Boyfriend. As Long as You Love Me. SELENER. Jelena forevz.
17. Perks of Being a Wallflower: Multiple people have told me to read this book in the past. I never listened. I was dumb. The book, the movie. Gorgeous story, and completely relatable. I wish I had read it when I was a sad, lonely high schooler.
18. The Hunger Games: Also another series I ignored suggestions to read. I did read them before the movie though. They were the first books I could actually get through after my breakup, and all I have to say is Team Katniss.
19. Dresses: I’ve never been a girly-girl, but this year I have discovered the feminine side of me that wants to dress up. Dresses can be so fun and flirty. And, hey, I’m 22. I might as well show it off now.
20. Pumpkin Asparagus rolls: From Kome. Amazing. I don’t eat seafood, especially raw seafood in the form of sushi, but this roll is da bomb (don’t judge me).
21. Britney Spears: Because, well, it’s Britney, bitch. She’s pretty much always been awesome and I will go to my grave saying that. Also, some of the things that come out of her mouth on X Factor are just priceless.
22. Twitter: I’m really funny, and the world deserves to read my humor. Also, I don’t feel guilty updating it a thousand times a day, posting random song lyrics, or adding pictures of my puppy. It’s not Facebook, ok?!
23. Walks with Simon: I’m not the most athletic person, but this is something I can do. We go sometimes for 4 miles, and he still isn’t tired. I wish I had his energy.
24. The Obamas: I think it’s safe to say that The Obamas are quite the “power-couple”.
25. How I Met Your Mother: This isn’t a brand-new obsession, but it still holds steady. Barney, Lily, Ted, Marshall, and Robin are my fake best friends. I think I can find a bit of myself in all of them. And it’s just so freaking funny.
26. Gangnam Style: Yes. I know it’s overplayed, and I don’t know what they are saying 90% of the song, but it’s just so damn catchy. And I love when he calls me “sexy lady”. OPPA GANGNAM STYLE.
27. Katy Perry: This girl is the SHIT. From her movie to her album, she is just awesome. Every song on her album could be a hit. And she’s sexy. I wish I had her confidence.
28. EOS Lipbalm: I have three balls in my purse right now, and that isn’t even remotely sexual. They are the best chapstick and it’s really fun to say to people that I need to use my ball.
29. Chelsea Lately: It’s just funny. It’s crude and politically incorrect most of the time, but it’s so funny. She says what you want to, but can’t.
30. House Hunters (International included): I’ve heard that these shows are staged. I refuse to believe such blasphemy. I truly, truly believe now that I am able to pick out the perfect house if I ever have the money.
I hope this list wasn’t too all over the place. 2012 has been a hard year, and I am eager to move on to better things, but it will always be remembered as my year of biggest growth. Here’s to 2013!